- every few kilometres I see a single bird perched on top of a light post. Hawks? Falcons? Too big for a crow and too dark for a gull
- four dear friends come over to share a meal and laughter
- my mother's cake recipe - a baking quest for Jennifer and I - turns out just a bit better than ever before
31 January 2010
This morning I was at a friend's beautiful home, visiting with her and her two little girls. As I drove away I found myself wishing for some of those same things in my life. And then . . .
30 January 2010
- Carmen is spending a few days with me as she studies. As I turn the key in the lock, I hear a cheery "hello!"
- Making dinner for two brings so much pleasure and gets my creative cooking juices going
- Carmen leaves for school and as she walks down the hall I'm already looking forward to having her back
27 January 2010
- Grace and I settle in for a night on the couch and web surfing
- There was a new teapot for Christmas and it's just the right size for two
- A gentle waft of orange meets me as I open the new box of tea
21 January 2010
- I'm so tired! Good thing I can go to bed
- My new flannel sheets are warm and cozy against the evening chill
- When I wash my bedding at Jen's place, I get to enjoy the smell of her lovely laundry soap all week long
20 January 2010
- Today I was anxiously awaiting job news. Tonight my email account and voice mail are filled with messages from others who are awaiting the news with me (still waiting)
- Time on the couch with a friend, a blanket, and a bowl of chocolate ice cream
- The speed of my new laptop continues to provide pleasure every time I use it
17 January 2010
- Glancing up at a lit attic window, I see that the sloped walls and the ceiling have been painted as a blue sky with white billowy clouds
- I hear the morning radio host talking about the beautiful sunrise as I get ready for the day. Later, I see posts on Facebook about it. Even though I missed it, I'm glad that there was a beautiful start to the day
- One of my favourite things to do at my old job on the 13th floor was to come into the office just as the sun was rising. I would sneak into a colleague's west facing cubicle and soak in the first rays
16 January 2010
- simple, but good. the sun is out for the first time in what feels like weeks.
- the sky is so blue! I had forgotten.
- across the park I spy a house painted an entrancing shade of green with purple trim. it matches my current outfit.
11 January 2010
- Megs and I find ourselves ankle deep in water. Where did that puddle come from? We laugh as we look at the disappearing puddle from all angles.
- A unexpectedly warm welcome from folks I hope will become friends
- While casually browsing through the library I come across a DVD I've been wanting to see for years
09 January 2010
- Every year I buy the same day planner from the same shop. Yesterday I sloshed in after being caught in a downpour and found that they had sold out. "But don't worry, Oscar will have them, just go down the street."
- I arrive at Oscar's feeling cold and wet (and to be honest, slightly grumpy). No planners! "But don't worry, I can order one for you and it will be here on Monday. 20% off!"
- Chatting with Pam on our way to the cinema, I tell her the tale. "Which kind do you use?" I ask. "Oh, I'm very specific with the planner I buy" she replies. "I always get the same one every year." It's the exact same as mine.
08 January 2010
- A friend who lends ideas and a listening ear is a lifesaver during this time of career transition and uncertainty
- New emails in my inbox invite me to come by the office for a chat
- My moments of angst are tempered with the knowledge that there are folks out there who believe in me
07 January 2010
- A pair of lost gloves sit on top of a fence post, waiting for their owner's hands
- Two very wrinkly dogs whine on the door step. I hear the door creak open to let them in
- A brief glimpse through a window - the table is covered with a bright blue and green cloth and a sweater hangs over the chair
06 January 2010
- Last night the lights from the ski hills above Vancouver seemed so close that I reached out my hand to touch them
- The hospital has lit the trees outside its front doors with glittering blue and green. I imagine that it brings a little bit of beauty to the people inside
- Cambie Street construction is finished and at night there is a beautiful new view of the bridge lights curving over the river