- the sound of my neighbour playing the piano
- as I lay on the couch listening to my neighbour, I notice that the slant of the sun is making the particles of dust in the air glitter like diamonds
- even though I told him not to come, my brother drives the more than an hour to my place because I'm not feeling well
31 May 2007
30 May 2007
- making up my bed with freshly laundered sheets and anticipating climbing in at night
- as I open the cupboard door, the sun catches the glassware and makes it sparkle
- an evening with friends spent playing croquet on a grassy knoll near the beach
29 May 2007
- I take my breakfast outside and sit on the steps to enjoy the morning sun
- I've discovered a new author. I'm only halfway through this book and I'm already planning my trip to the library to look for more of her works
- A hike up Elk Mountain in the mist and rain lends an air of mystery to the tall evergreens and dark green ferns
23 May 2007
22 May 2007
- I pass under an avenue of massive oak trees on my walk home from work and wonder about all the other people that have passed this way before me
- The rumble of cars on brick streets
- Choosing the long but beautiful way home over the shorter, less inspirational way
21 May 2007
- a short, invigorating hike up the Stawamus Chief brings us to a rocky summit with panoramic views of the valley and ocean
- spending time connecting with a new friend
- I see a little boy reaching into a cooler and pulling out a grape Crush pop. His eyes are shining with excitement
20 May 2007
- being willing to tip upside down into the ocean while strapped in a kayak because I know my friend is there and she is watching out for me
- after a squall of rain in the morning, the sky clears up and the sun shines - despite the weatherman's dire warnings
- making plans to go hiking with new friends
17 May 2007
- Last week I saw a little boy playing up in a tree. As I walk past the tree this week, I see he has secreted many different treasures in the branches- including an ice pick, a shovel, and a basket.
- A couple, still in their housecoats, are having morning tea (or coffee?) out on their front porch.
- I sit on a different side of the train, and as we cross over the bridge I get a whole new view of the river.
02 May 2007
I'm back home from my retreat. My time away was better than I even imagined - and even though I didn't do all the things I had wanted to (like figure out the rest of my life), I did come away with peace and joy for the future - whatever it holds. AND I have a whole pocketful of beautiful things stored up to share!
- When I was small, I had a book about a boy called Orlando and his "long-time friends" and "little-while friends" - this weekend I was once again reminded of my wonderful long-time friends and the comfort that comes from having people who know me well (and still stick by me!)
- As I'm walking at the beach on Sunday, I hear two girls laughing. They come closer, and I realize I know them. Soon I'm joining in on the laughter too.
- I look down from the bridge I cross to get to work and see the river as calm and smooth as glass.