- Evidence of my neighbour's Hallowe'en costume greats me as I walk down the stairs and out on to the street. Do the white feathers mean she's an angel or a chicken?
- Lynda's neighbours gather on a front lawn to watch the local fireworks. "He's been doing this for 18 years."
- Everyone else is looking up. I look around me and see the red and green flashes light their faces
31 October 2010
28 October 2010
24 October 2010
21 October 2010
Recently I joined the community board of the Mt. Pleasant Neighbourhood House. I see the passion on the other members' faces as we sit across the table from each other, eagerly imagining how this place can become a hub of belonging in the community. I smile and feel like I belong already.
18 October 2010
14 October 2010
10 October 2010
- Looking at my watch I am thrilled to see that I will make the time goal I've been too afraid to say out loud. The last 500 metres go by quickly and the roar of the crowd is just for me.
- A whole group of us have boarded the bus in Victoria at the same time. We've crossed the water on the ferry and taken the skytrain back into Vancouver. We are bound by our tell-tale blue race bags and progressively stiff strides.